Saturday, September 8, 2012

In the beginning...


This is my inaugural blog post, so I’ll use it to give a short recap of my first year in the world of endurance sports.  My future posts will be more in-depth looks into individual races and training experiences.

I started this year with an aggressive approach, even though I had not given much thought to running since my youth (aka High school track).  You see, like most people I made a couple of seemingly outrageous resolutions on 01 Jan 2012.  However, unlike most resolutions, these did not fade.  I resolved to complete at least one marathon and (as if that weren’t bold enough) run 2000 miles over the course of the year.  (I have accumulated 1,390.83 miles as of 08 Sep 2012)

Well, the marathon box has been checked for sure, and I am still working diligently towards the absurdly large task of getting in 2000 miles in a year.  I hope I didn’t overestimate myself in my second resolution. 
This year I have run 20 races.  I will give you the official times of the big ones (half marathon or larger).

9/1/12 Last track to Boston (DNF) - I learned how stupid it is to attempt a marathon with temps in the mid 90s.
5/20/12 Run for the Dream Half Marathon (1:35:32) - This is my current official PR for 13.1.
5/6/12 Potomac River Run Marathon (3:38:02) - This was flat packed dirt and gravel (just saying).
4/7/12 Charlottesville Marathon (3:30:15) - This hilly course is the home of my current PR for 26.2.
3/24/12 Belmonte Endurance Races 25K (3:31:36) - This mountain trail race is my hardest race to date.
3/18/12 The Shamrock Marathon (3:41:49) - This was my first marathon.  It was an education to be sure.
2/26/12 The Colonial Marathon (1:38:17) - Be warned, this course is hilly nearly as much as Charlottesville.

If you are curious about where else my journey has taken me and how I fared, you can check me out on my Athlinks page  

Watch for my next post, it will be regarding the USAF Marathon that I will run on 9/15/12.
Thanks for reading!!!!!
P.S. Don't forget to subscribe :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment