Friday, October 26, 2012

Fall Classic

On October 21, 2012, Bad to the Bone Endurance Sports (BTTB) hosted the Fall Classic Half Marathon and 10K in Charlottesville, Virginia.  This race toured some of the most scenic areas of  the city while the fall color change was at its most dramatic. The scenic road course began on the historic downtown mall, traveled through many of the older neighborhoods, featured a beautiful 2 mile stretch of the Rivanna river, and winded back to the finish line at the downtown mall.
Finisher's medal
I waited to the last minute to register for the race, but I'd known for a long time that I wanted to participate.  I have had great experiences racing at BTTB events; I knew that this one would be no different.

My good friend Mac and his wife, Dena, accompanied me.  Mac ran the 10K and Dena cheered enthusiastically for the two of us.  They're awesome company.

Mac's race, the 10K, started 30 minutes after mine.  So, he and Dena came to the starting line to take pictures and cheer for me.  It was nice to have the company of my friends leading up to the time I needed to be at the starting line.

At the starting line, I had a few minutes to size up the competition through friendly conversation and get a good feel for whom I needed to roll with when the gun sounded.  When at last the race began, the first and second runners started very quickly.  I pursued hard in hopes of solidifying a top position.  For about the first 4 miles I maintained a solid third.  However, I began to slide back in position before mile 6.  I remember thinking that I should not allow anyone to push me beyond my ideal pace, but I also knew that I had a solid foothold in the race and felt a desire to fight for position.  This mentality would likely have been the key to my downfall in a marathon, but I knew that my conditioning was good for 26.2 so I convinced myself that I could handle the faster pace for 13.1.

I pressed to a pace that was just above my comfort level and opted to run past the aid stations. My position was solidified.  As I entered into the final stretch, I saw Mac coming out to meet me. We were roughly 200 meters from the finish.  He told me that if I wanted a PR it was all mine, but I had to go right then. So I dug deep and opened my final kick a bit sooner than what I might have otherwise.  When I rounded the corner, I saw the clock and pushed across the line.

The results revealed that I had completed the 13.1 mile course in 1 hour 34 min and 49 seconds, a PR (personal record). It was good enough to land me a tenth place overall and a 1st place finish in my age bracket. 

Mac finished the 10K course in 59 min and 30 seconds. His goal was sub 1 hour; mission accomplished.  This time was good enough for a 3rd place finish in the age bracket.  He was surprised, but I know that he has put in the miles and had earned it.  

We celebrated with some silly pictures, biting our medals as if we were Olympians.  This race event was a great way to spend the morning.

The route itself was very hilly and had minimal straightaway, just how I like it.  Unfortunately, concentrated racing prevented me from soaking up all that the scenery had to offer.  It is a trade off :-)

I would like to thank Bad to the Bone Endurance Sports for putting on this exceptional event.

1 comment:

  1. Trade offs. Do you run from distractions? Or, is running a metaphor, the route being hilly, and for only a time the straightaway?

    Mac and Dena, the company of awesome.

    Old neighborhoods, would you run through a ghetto?

    ReplyDelete