Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Freedom 5K



10 Nov 2012

The Freedom 5K is a fun community-centric race set on a beautiful route that features both roadway and trail in the scenic town of Crozete, Va and presented by The Family Fund.


The Family Fund's mission:  Supports and encourages programs providing care, support and joy to children and their families. The Corporation will strive to fulfill its mission by supporting tax exempt organizations that promote the health, education and well being of children. The Corporation will raise funds and visibility for selected nonprofit organizations. This year two very deserving organizations were equal beneficiaries (Folds of Honor) and (Blue Star).
Learn about Folds of Honor here: http://www.foldsofhonor.org/
 
Learn about Blue Star here: http://bsfcv.avenue.org/Mission.htm

The race is billed as a celebration of freedom that brings families of the community together in a healthy activity that gives thanks to service members and their families. The event was held on a weekend that celebrated both the Marine Corps birthday and Veteran's day, it featured volunteers of all ages, shapes and sizes waving flags and holding patriotic signs.  Military members accompanied with families and friends came out in droves.  I think that the environment radiated patriotism; the freedom 5K had captured its theme perfectly.


 

This is the second year that I have had the privilege of participating in this event.  In fact I enjoyed it so much last year that it went from being my first 5k fun run as an adult to being the race that I recognize as the beginning of a real commitment to running.  This year I was accompanied by my good friends Paul and Briana, I am pretty sure that if they get a chance they will be back for more as well.




Last year I was proud to say that I came in 16th overall and 2nd in the age group with a time of 21:09.  This year I am prouder to say that I accomplished the same course with a 4th overall and 2nd in the age group with a finish time of 20:46.




This is my blog so obviously I am going to post my results, but the real value of this event is the community involvement and the patriotism that emanates from the crowd in support of and pride in those that serve overseas in order that we can can all feel safe at home.

Bad to The Bone Endurance sports managed the logistics (course marking, timing, start/finish line, etc) for the event.

Learn more about (Bad to the bone endurance sports) http://www.badtothebone.biz/


1 comment: