Thursday, November 8, 2012

USAF PT test 2012


 The USAF physical fitness (PT) test is a mandatory function that each airman (regardless of rank)  accomplishes at least once a year.  It is designed to assess a member's level of strength and conditioning.  The test consist of four elements (pushups, situps, 1.5 mile run, and a measurement of abdominal circumference).  Each element is timed, the pushup and situp present the member with a one minute time limit per exercise in which the requirement is to do as many repetitions as possible before time expires.  The 1.5 mile run is accomplished on a certified quarter mile track, usually one that is designed in accordance with scholastic competition standards.  Of course, the waist measurement is taken with a standard tape that just doesn't lie.
The four elements each hold a point value with a minimum that must be achieved.  It is worth noting the inability to pass the PT test will make a member ineligible for both advancement and renlistment.  A satisfactory score will require that you be reevaluated six months after completion.  An outstanding score (90% or higher) will carry you for a full year.  With extreme consequences and the reward of peace of mind being the only possible outcomes, the test is not something that Air Force personnel take lightly.



Though I think that I am in the best shape of my life, I still get nervous every time I have to step up to the challenge.  This is not a race or event that I can opt out of, and it is not for bragging rights, medals, or trophies. It has very real career impacting implications.  Like everyone else, I hoped that this would not be the day that I underperformed or failed to meet my potential.  I hoped to cash in on the benefits that I have worked so hard to gain through a disciplined diet and workout routine while participating in a test that is designed to reveal my weakness and identify areas that I need improvement.

I feel really blessed that I did not run into any complications (illness or injury) that would cause me to underperform. On this day I managed to gain every point that the run and the abdominal measurement had to offer, and minimal loss in the areas that I knew that I needed improvement in.  My score breaks down like this:
 1.5 mile run: 9 minute 34 seconds for 60 points out of 60 available
pushups: 48 in one min for 9.2 points out of 10 available
situps: 42 in one minute for 7.5 points out of 10 available
abdominal circumference: 33  inches for 20 points out of 20 available
for a grand total of 96.7 points out of 100 available

As a person that has the privilege of being a physical training leader, I put a ton of pressure on myself to score high in order that I can lead through example. I can't tell you how good it feels to have put the 2012 USAF PT test behind me with a solid showing.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that the pt test varied between services. Hub just had his too. Congrats on getting it done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm glad I got that test behind me too. One less thing to super stress over. Although, I won't be slacking off on training anytime soon to be ready when it comes around again.

    ReplyDelete